Worth Abbey Parish was created when Worth Abbey became an independent monastery in 1957, and parish work continues the long historical tradition of Benedictine monks being involved in evangelisation in the British Isles.
The geographic area of the parish consists of the villages and countryside between the three towns – Haywards Heath, East Grinstead and Crawley – though it attracts parishioners from a much wider area.
The parish is fortunate to be able to tap into the resources and skills of Worth Abbey for its main Sunday celebration in the Abbey Church. The first Mass on Saturday evening is a Parish Mass.
Catechesis of both children and adults is an important part of the work of the parish. An Adult Formation Group plans for the theological and spiritual formation of parishioners. The Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) has brought a large number of people into the Church over the last few years.
A concern for justice drove the plan to twin with a parish in the poorest part of Uganda. This Friendship on our part involves supporting church, health and educational needs in Irundu; and on their part in welcoming teams for our own parish into their community.